Tuesday, April 24, 2012

almost

Last night after Tommy's baseball practice we went to McDonald's to run off any left over energy, then came home took baths/shower, got jammies on & went to bed about 9pm.  David was in his room asleep & the little boys were in their room.  They were all quiet so I figured they were all asleep and I laid down in bed about 10:30.  As I was laying there getting comfortable I smelled something burning. At first I figured it was the neighbor's fire pit, then realized that I had the windows shut since the a/c is on. As I laid there thinking what was running (washer/dryer, dishwasher) and realized nothing was on I jumped out of bed and down the hall first checking the kitchen and finding nothing, nothing in the living room or the boys bathroom. David's door was open so that was easy to check, which only left the little boys room.  I feel like it took me 10 minutes to get their door open, (the latch on their door was broke so it takes a few tries and holding your breath & tongue just right to get that door open) but once I got in there I could smell the smoke/burning SO strongly.  Tommy says "mom smell that?" I said yes Thomas, as I am trying to get the light on & figure out what is going on, and Nathan is saying "nighty night all done".  These little stinkers took out the dresser drawer and got to a plug that didn't have plug covers on it, and plugged in the light that goes to the fish tank (our fish died last week and the tank is sitting empty & unplugged on the dresser waiting for new fish), they also plugged in the heater for the tank and laid the heater on the wooden dresser!!  That is what was burning! Luckily there wasn't a fire, I can only imagine how horrible it could've been, between the door knob, and everyone sleeping, a few hours later or if I hadn't smelled the burn.
After I got it taken care of I had Tommy & Nathan sitting down and was trying to explain and make them understand that it isn't ok to touch plugs, that only mommy's or daddy's do that and how scary it can be if there is a fire.  And Tommy says to me, "it's ok if there is a fire mom, you can buy me new toys besides I really really like the firemen, they are real nice and I really like to see their firetruck and it would be so so cool if they came to my house in their firetruck with their lights on!!" 

Here is the heater, the top part on the picture where it is brown is the burned part, they burned it right up.
Poor little boys....they are so tired today!  After me tearing in there & through their room like a crazy lady so late last night!  My adrenaline was  certainly going afterwards though, I wasn't able to stop shaking so I cleaned for a few hours to calm down before checking on everyone & everything and then finally going to bed.  And yes, the little boys both slept in bed with me last night :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Jenn!! I am sure glad you woke up. I am sure that scared the heebeejeebees out of you!! glad you are all safe!

Anonymous said...

that was me--Lynda--I dont know why it says anonymous.