Thursday, September 17, 2009

3 years ago...

Gabe Allen McKeehan
Three years ago we lost baby Gabe. What a life changing experience for our family! Feelings of loss, sorrow, concern and yes, gratitude filled our hearts. How greatful I am that we had family that was able to help and be with us, both taking care of David and staying with me at the hospital while Keith was running back and forth. Greatful for the strength and comfort of the Spirit through prayer and priesthood blessings. Greatful for parents and church leaders who came to be with us and knew just what to say and what we needed. Greatful for my doctor and the perinatologist that he called in who convinced me to be induced and deliver instead of doing a d&c.
Every year this day is hard and emotional time for me. There are days that it seems like we lost Gabe so long ago, and there are other days that it seems like it was just yesterday. It has been especially hard this year, being pregnant and being about as far along as I am now as I was when we lost Gabe. But it helps knowing that we will be able to be with Gabe again, and that he is still a member of our family. David still talks about him. The love and support of our family and friends is such a great crutch to lean on on the hard days.

Every Sept. 17th, my mom sends me flowers, one red flower for each member of the family (4), and one white one for Gabe. This year she had a blue flower put in it for baby Nate.
Thanks Mom!!

5 comments:

Ed and Cathy Torrance said...

You are very welcome!! Let's take today to be melancholy and ponder and remember, and tomorrow we will celebrate our many blessings as we go forward with life!!!

Unknown said...

Your mom is awesome, your a strong and amazing woman. I know that times have been tough, but you preserver through anything. You have taught me through your actions and I am blessed to have known you. I know how often you think of Gabe, and know that everyday he is on your mind.

Lidia and Steve said...

we love you guys and are thinking of you today!

mckeehan said...

what a good mom! I wish I had thought of that. Know you are in my prayers. A friend I work with has just gone through this too and it hits very close to home. We all desperately wanted to help and felt so inadequate. I admire that you guys made it through. Gabe's death certainly has made me more compassionate toward others suffering loss, and I realize that doing/saying nothing is worse than fearing saying "the wrong thing". Love ya--hang in there.

Robyn said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Your mom is so cute!