Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Nay-Nay

I am SO proud of Nathan today!  He had to do a cat scan this morning and he did it like a pro! Why a cat scan??  The last few months he has been getting pretty sick pretty often, it is usually strep, ear infections or sinus infections.  He has a sinus infection that has lasted probably a good 3-4 months, it isn't always a green/yellow nose, but he's been super congested all the time. We did a sinus x-ray a few weeks ago, and Dr. Manthei wasn't able to see what he wanted to, there was a pool in his sinuses, but wasn't a very good image, probably because it took me & two techs to hold Nathan's head in place as he was screaming and trying to get away.  So after that experience I was really nervous to have to do the cat scan, even more so when they told me they were going to sedate him!  So, Nathan & I dropped Tommy off at grandma's house this morning and went to his appointment.  

He colored on the back of his paperwork while we waited.  Of course Mickey & Minnie had to come with us!!
 Then they took us back and gave him some valium & apple juice and he and I sat in the rocking chair and rocked for a little bit while the valium kicked in.  When we went back to the imaging room he laid down on the bed & got strapped in.  There was a lead apron under his arms covering his body & the head strap on him. He was able to have Mickey & Minnie with him :)  I stood  next to him & rubbed his leg for comfort and kept my other hand under his chin to help him keep his head still.  Once they started the bed moved forward & backward through the machine, Nathan got a really big smile on his face, looked at me & said "wwweeeeee"!!!  The nurse giggled & smiled and told him to hold really still, so he smiled a little grin and whispered wwwweeee to me.  If I looked him in the eyes, he would start to giggle & smile, so we avoided eye contact.  But he held still and they were able to get some great images!! They said the doctor would have the results by Friday at the latest, so hopefully we will know something soon!  
 He got lots of prizes for being SO good!!  The nurses just loved him!  He got silly bands, a sucker & a sticker.  

1 comment:

Ed and Cathy Torrance said...

Good job Nathan, I'm so proud of you too.