Monday, February 9, 2009

Henoch-Schonlein Purpura







What a day!! Tommy has Henoch-Schonlein Purpura, or HSP. It started on Friday with just a little hives/rash on the back of his neck and the side of his face. We ran him into the pediatrician, she told us what to do to treat it. Gave him some benadryl and he was doing ok. Throughout the weekend he did ok, still had hives that would come and go but nothing to concerning. Sunday night I noticed that the hives were worse than they had been, they were really swollen and were hard when you would touch them and didn't turn back white when you push on them and they were really hot to touch. So, off to St. Rose ER we went. That is where they diagnosed him with HSP, said benadryl for itching, and tylenol for pain were all that we could do to help him. Monday, after Tommy woke up from his nap, this is what he looked like!! His poor little kissable lip was so swollen!! And his face was pretty broken out. He wasn't panicked or acting unusual. I ended up calling 911, not knowing what to do for him, but knowing that this wasn't ok or normal.
The fire department got here before the ambulance and gave him some benadryl and did his vitals. Tommy did not like the ambulance ride to Sunrise. But the nice thing was no lines to get a room in the ER!! We got right in. I felt horrible as I was telling the nurse and doctor Tommy's medical history, his last few months have been so rough!! They gave him some steroids and then his face looked like this!
They watched him for a little bit, and other than the hives/rash he started with and the swelling of his lip he was fine! They released us with instructions for him to take benadryl every 6 hours regardless of how he is doing, a prescription for steroids for the next week for him and an epi pen just in case!! My poor baby!! When he went to bed at 9 tonight, his lip was back to being its cute little kissable lip!

4 comments:

Ed and Cathy Torrance said...

I hope your night was uneventful!!! The poor little thing I just want to hold him and never put him down and keep him safe from everything!! He has had such a rough time the last few months! Hang in there!

Robyn said...

Oh my goodness. That poor little boy. He is going to have to carry around a notebook with all his medical history. Poor guy. And poor mommy...it sounds like you need a vacation. :)

Hayley said...

omgg. i have that ive had it since i was 4 on halloween when i was 4 my whole body just out of no where swoll up and i could not walk and my whole body was black and blue and when my mom took me to the hospital they thought she had betean me and threw her to the ground thats how bad it looked. When i was four i went from 40 to 90 in 3 months from my body swelling up and the steriods that i got to be able to walk. They told me i would have it until im sixteen. Well im 14 and cant wait to know what it will feel like when i grow out of it. Im sorry for your little boy i really am):

Becky said...

My 7yr old son was just diagnosed with HSP today.