Sunday, November 23, 2008

I think we have a problem over here!!

That is exactly what David calmly said last night, in his pajamas playing his ds, as smoke is coming out from behind the couch he is sitting on! I had just gotten Tommy out of the bath, and was getting a diaper for him when David let us know that there was smoke coming from behind the couch. I immediately told him to go to Sharon's (our neighbor) and he quickly and obediently left, I quickly put a diaper on Tommy and grabbed jammies for him, my keys and cell phone and went with him outside while calling 911. As I was getting the kids out, Keith pulled the couch away from the wall, and ran outside and turned off the power. Henderson Fire Department got here within minutes! Two engines with lights and sirens!!
They came in with all their fire gear on and used their axes to make this hole in my wall.

Our plug had a crack in it causing it to start on fire! It started sparking and smoking then the flames came! The flames went out when Keith turned off the power, luckily the flames didn't have a chance to ignite the insulation in the walls!!This is one of the firemen checking out the wall after they hosed it out.
Keith called our bishop and he along with two other men in the ward(one being an electrician) came over to help. They got the burned up area safe and the wires tied up so they wouldn't be a problem overnight and got our power turned back on. Keith slept on the couch last night with his flashlight, cell phone and fully dressed! I took the boys to my mom's house for the night, I was not comfortable with them staying at our house. After church today we came home and all is well. We cleaned up the mess from the wall being torn up, and arranged furniture so the hole won't be so appealing to little boys that like to get into things! We are staying at home tonight though. We were really lucky, had it been half hour later, we all would have been in bed and wouldn't have seen the smoke or realized that there was a fire until it would have been to late and would have ended up having to get out of the house through the window! As bad as it is, it could have been a whole lot worse. So, between the fire, Tommy's surgery and Tommy's infections I am done with my 3 bad things....who's next!!



BTW~ these pics were taken with my cell phone so the firemen wouldn't think i was crazy taking pictures for my blog!!







13 comments:

Ed and Cathy Torrance said...

Hmm, we will see....

Anonymous said...

I am just glad David was being observant and you are all safe. I am grateful too that you had good people who came to help.
Lynda

KolbyJanine said...

Man thats crazy! Good thing you are all safe!

Bitter Family said...

Wow!! You said you wanted your boys'to have a sleepover at mom's yesterday before you went home! Be careful what you wish for! :)

Ed and Cathy Torrance said...

Hey, not to mention Tommy's broken leg! (I just found your slippers upstairs!)

McKeehan Family said...

If you can save those slippers...they are my neighbors!!

Bev said...

I like to find blessings in bad things. Your problem happened when you were awake and home to blees you with a home.

weavers said...

Holy Crap!! Wow! Thank goodness everything was ok and nobody hurt!
Kaylene

Lidia and Steve said...

next time your house catches fire, get pictures of the flames!

Ed and Cathy Torrance said...

You know I always have to share my thoughts, and these have come over the last two days as I have contemplated the month of November in Keith and Jennifer's family:
1) Tommy's intususseption was found and treated promptly (due to Jennifer's persistence) and correctly, thereby literally saving his life.
2) A trusted family friend stepped in and got Tommy's leg the care it needed (again due to Jennifer's persistence) when she didn't know where else to turn.
#) Had that fire broken out on any other normal Saturday night, it would have happened while the family was asleep, and David most likely would have been sleeping on that couch that was up against that wall and electrical outlet. (That is his weekend habit, to sleep on the couch and watch movies). There is also the additional possibility tht Keith could have been working overtime, and not have been there to act so quickly preventing a much greater loss of property. The prospects of
the outcome of that situation are absolutely horrifying!!
I am grateful for the protecting and guiding hand of the Lord that has been over this family. The trials still come, as they will for all of us, but they, and we, have been truly blessed. As we enter this week of celebrating Thanksgving, this is what I am truly thankful for!

Gina Marie said...

I can't believe that... This just isn't your year is it?! I love how your husband was sleeping on the couch ready to warn off any more fires that dared start! I just can't believe it girl- wow! At least it wasn't as bad as it could have been- thank goodness!

Robyn said...

Wow! I'm glad you guys are ok.

Anonymous said...

Jenn you are super woman! You keep fighting and winning one battle after another, it certainly is someone elses turn. So glad your boys are healthy and safe! David is such a smarty, good for him. Tommy looks like a sweatheart and I hope to meet him someday soon.